This simple recipe for caramel popcorn balls with raisins is fun to make for Halloween.
– Serves: 12
– Preparation time: 20 Minutes
– Cooking time: 5 Minutes
Nutrition per serving: 78 calories; 2 g fat ( 1 g sat , 1 g mono ); 5 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 16 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium.
- 6 heaping cups popped corn
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-calorie light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raisins
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Prepare a medium bowl of ice water. Put popcorn in large bowl.
- Combine brown sugar, corn syrup and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the syrup starts to lightly bubble, cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted and the mixture darkens, about 2 minutes.
- Immediately pour the mixture evenly over the popcorn; gently mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well coated. Gently stir in raisins.
- Dip both hands in the ice water. Working quickly, press small handfuls (heaping 1/4 cup each) of the popcorn mixture firmly into 2-inch balls. (Make sure each ball gets a little bit of the raisins.) Place the balls on the prepared baking sheet. If they seem too fragile, rinse hands with cold water and press and squeeze each ball again to help keep it together.
- Let cool completely before storing. To store, individually wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.