This hearty winter warmer makes the most of seasonal vegetables and is sure to impress guests.
– Serves: 6
– Preparation time: 15 Minutes
– Cooking time: 50 Minutes
Nutrition per serving: 416 cals, 14.3g fat, of which 6.7g saturated fat, 7.6g added sugar, 1.4g salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 x 500g pack Freedom Foods chicken fillets, diced
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons be good to yourself soft cheese
- 50g unsalted butter
- 40g basics plain flour
- 300ml chicken stock
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ x 20g pack tarragon, chopped
- 200g basics garden peas
- 3 filo pastry sheets, halved
- 300g tenderstem broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC, fan 180ºC, gas 6. Heat ½ tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the leeks for 10 minutes, adding the garlic for the last minute. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the chicken over a medium heat for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Stir through the mustard and cheese, then add to the leek mixture.
- In a saucepan, melt 25g butter and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute over a low heat, then remove from the heat and slowly add the chicken stock and milk, stirring well after each addition. Simmer for 2 minutes, until thickened. Stir in the lemon zest and juice, tarragon and peas.
- Stir the white sauce into the chicken and leek mixture and pour into 6 x 450ml ramekins. Melt the remaining 25g butter and brush over the pastry. Scrunch the pastry over the top of the pies, then bake for 25 minutes, until the top is crispy and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, boil the broccoli for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Drain and serve with the pies.