These spicy pickled vegetables are like a Mexican version of Italian giardiniera and are delicious with tacos and as a condiment for any sandwich or burger. The recipe makes a large batch but it keeps well in the refrigerator. Packed into glass jars, it makes a nice gift.
– Servings: 16
– Preparation time: 30 Minutes
– Cooking time: 15 Minutes
Nutrition per serving: 116 calories; 10 g fat ( 1 g sat , 7 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 214 mg potassium.
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons allspice berries
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 pound pearl onions, fresh (peeled; see Tip) or frozen (thawed)
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 large red, yellow or orange bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small habanero or 2 small jalapeño peppers, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Place peppercorns, allspice berries, coriander seeds and cloves on an 8-inch-square double layer of cheesecloth. Bring up the sides, making a bundle that encloses the spices, and tie at the top with kitchen string (or put the spices in a stainless-steel tea ball).
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat Add sliced onion and garlic cloves and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, pearl onions, carrots, bell pepper and habanero (or jalapeños). Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender-crisp, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in vinegar, bay leaves, oregano, salt, cumin seeds and the spice bundle and cook 2 minutes more.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before transferring everything to a large nonreactive bowl (see Tip). Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool, about 2 hours. Serve using a slotted spoon to leave behind excess oil.