Charring fresh tomatoes and jalapeños on the grill gives this chunky pureed salsa great fire-roasted flavor. It works just as well under the broiler and even tastes delicious made with canned fire-roasted tomatoes.
– Servings: 8
– Preparation time: 10 Minutes
– Cooking time: 8-10 Minutes
Nutrition per serving: 10 calories; 0 g fat ( 0 g sat , 0 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (see Canned-tomato Variation)
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat grill to high (or preheat broiler).
- Grill tomatoes and jalapeño, turning frequently, until charred, 10 minutes for the tomatoes, about 5 minutes for the jalapeño. (To broil, place on a baking sheet and broil about 4 inches from the heat, turning once or twice, until charred, 8 to 10 minutes total.)
- When cool enough to handle, core the tomatoes and remove the stem from the jalapeño. Place in a food processor along with garlic; pulse to form a chunky mixture. Season with salt to taste.