A crunchy topping of sugared toasted almonds and a surprise filling of almond-scented berry jam makes these whole-wheat muffins reminiscent of Danish pastries. They are perfect for a special breakfast or brunch.
– Servings: 12
– Preparation time: 30 Minutes
– Cooking time: 30 Minutes
Nutrition per serving: 229 calories; 8 g fat ( 1 g sat , 4 g mono ); 36 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 77 mg potassium.
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup blackberry, blueberry, raspberry or cherry jam
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, orange juice, oil and vanilla; whisk to blend. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
- Scoop half the batter into the prepared pan. Mix jam and almond extract; drop a generous teaspoonful into the center of each muffin. Spoon on the remaining batter, filling each muffin cup completely. Sprinkle with almonds, then sugar.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.