Use these meringue mushrooms to decorate any yule log cake. The recipe makes enough to decorate your serving platter and have plenty left over for each serving of cake.
– Makes: 24 Mushrooms
– Preparation time: 30 Minutes
– Cooking time: 60 Minutes
Nutrition per mushroom: 24 calories; 0 g fat ( 0 g sat , 0 g mono ); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 11 mg potassium.
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips, melted, for attaching stems to caps
- Set racks in middle and lower positions; preheat oven to 250°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray and dust with flour, shaking off excess.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff and glossy. Fold in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla with a rubber spatula.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain tip. (If using parchment paper, stick it to the baking sheets with a little dab of meringue in each corner.) Holding the pastry bag at a right angle to the baking sheet, pipe meringue into 1 1/2-inch round “caps” on one of the prepared baking sheets. On the other baking sheet, pipe 24 “stems” by holding the pastry bag at a right angle and slowly raising the bag up vertically as you pipe the meringue to make a 1- to 1 1/2-inch tall stem a bit wider at the base than the top. Use a knife in the other hand to cut away the stream of meringue between stems. Dust the caps lightly with cocoa.
- Bake the meringues until dry and crisp, rotating the baking sheets midway through baking, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer the baking sheets to wire racks to cool.
- To assemble the mushrooms, trim the top of each stem so it is flat, not pointed. Spread a small amount of melted chocolate on the underside of the caps, then gently press the stems into the chocolate. Set aside to dry with the stem side up.