A whole orange pulverized in the food processor gives these nutrient-rich date-pumpkin muffins a wonderful intense flavour.
– Servings: 12
– Preparation time: 30 Minutes
– Cooking time: 20 Minutes
Nutrition per serving: 226 calories; 6 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 16 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 15 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 283 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large seedless orange, scrubbed and cut into 8 sections (peel left on)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup canned unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar or 1/4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 standard 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Puree orange sections in a food processor. Add egg, egg white, pumpkin, sugar (or Splenda), honey and oil; process until mixed. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and dates, and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake the muffins until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.