There are lots of ways to poach an egg. We tried ’em all. This was the winning method.
– Servings: 4
– Preparation time: 10 Minutes
– Cooking time: 10 Minutes
Nutrition per serving: 74 calories; 5 g fat ( 2 g sat , 2 g mono ); 211 mg cholesterol; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- Break each egg into a small bowl. Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add vinegar. Reduce to a gentle simmer: the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan.
- Submerging the lip of each bowl into the simmering water, gently add the eggs, one at a time.
- Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean dish towel to drain for a minute.