These zesty Southwestern egg burritos are always a hit whether you serve them for breakfast, brunch, lunch or a casual dinner. The homemade black bean salsa adds a special touch, but these are extra-quick if you use your favorite jarred salsa.
– Servings: 4
– Preparation time: 15 Minutes
– Cooking time: 15 Minutes
Nutrition per serving: 328 calories; 15 g fat ( 6 g sat , 5 g mono ); 232 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 7 g fiber; 783 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
- 4 x 9-inch whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar, or pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups Black Bean & Tomato Salsa, (recipe follows) or prepared salsa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Wrap tortillas in foil and heat in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Blend eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl with a fork until blended. Heat oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add chiles and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add eggs and cook, stirring slowly with a wooden spoon or heatproof rubber spatula, until soft, fluffy curds form, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes.
- To serve, divide eggs evenly among the tortillas. Sprinkle each with about 2 tablespoons cheese and roll up. Serve with salsa and sour cream.